Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Forms security extension

I have checked and rechecked I have read the posts many times, but I still
can't get it to work quite right.
After configuring the security extension I can successfully register a user
(admin).
I can deploy a report via the .NET IDE. I am prompted for the user name.
The report is deployed and can be run inside the IDE.
When I try to log on to ReportManager via http://Machinename/Reports
I correctly get the UILogin.aspx page. I have debugged this process many
times. It
checks the user name and password. It creates a cookie. I get to the line
HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect(redirectUrl, false); It really seems
like it should redirect to Folder.aspx but instead it returns to UILogin.aspx
.
I am using the developer edition with SR1
I have removed the cr/lf from all configuration lines
I never user localhost I am always using Machine name.
Any help would be appreciatedhmm...In RSWebApplication.config, you have the machine name in the
<ReportServerUrl> element? [ http://MachineName/ReportServer ]
Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
--
Adrian M.
MCP
"mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:59AD917B-B95B-4442-9C5F-38C7CF178B09@.microsoft.com...
>I have checked and rechecked I have read the posts many times, but I still
> can't get it to work quite right.
> After configuring the security extension I can successfully register a
> user
> (admin).
> I can deploy a report via the .NET IDE. I am prompted for the user name.
> The report is deployed and can be run inside the IDE.
> When I try to log on to ReportManager via http://Machinename/Reports
> I correctly get the UILogin.aspx page. I have debugged this process many
> times. It
> checks the user name and password. It creates a cookie. I get to the
> line
> HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect(redirectUrl, false); It really seems
> like it should redirect to Folder.aspx but instead it returns to
> UILogin.aspx
> .
> I am using the developer edition with SR1
> I have removed the cr/lf from all configuration lines
> I never user localhost I am always using Machine name.
> Any help would be appreciated|||Hi Adrian,
I recognize you from previous posts. Thanks for responding.
Yes, RSWebApplication.config is
<ReportServerUrl>http://MARKZ_2K/ReportServer</ReportServerUrl>
> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
Are you refering to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting
Services\ReportManagerWeb.Config?
I believe the only thing to do in that file is to set
<identity impersonate="false"/> which I have done/
"Adrian M." wrote:
> hmm...In RSWebApplication.config, you have the machine name in the
> <ReportServerUrl> element? [ http://MachineName/ReportServer ]
> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
> --
> Adrian M.
> MCP
>
> "mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:59AD917B-B95B-4442-9C5F-38C7CF178B09@.microsoft.com...
> >I have checked and rechecked I have read the posts many times, but I still
> > can't get it to work quite right.
> >
> > After configuring the security extension I can successfully register a
> > user
> > (admin).
> > I can deploy a report via the .NET IDE. I am prompted for the user name.
> > The report is deployed and can be run inside the IDE.
> >
> > When I try to log on to ReportManager via http://Machinename/Reports
> > I correctly get the UILogin.aspx page. I have debugged this process many
> > times. It
> > checks the user name and password. It creates a cookie. I get to the
> > line
> > HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect(redirectUrl, false); It really seems
> > like it should redirect to Folder.aspx but instead it returns to
> > UILogin.aspx
> > .
> >
> > I am using the developer edition with SR1
> > I have removed the cr/lf from all configuration lines
> > I never user localhost I am always using Machine name.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated
>
>|||ok...can you navigate to http://MARKZ_2K/ReportServer without problems?
Also, double-check the instructions for the changes to the ReportServer
config files.
To simplify the log in process, just hard code a user name/password in your
security extension; compile; deploy it to the correct \bin folders
(ReportManager, ReportServer); restart RS/IIS. Can you log into Report
Manger now?
Although it's overly complicated, I know setting up the security extension
is possible (I've done it on several occasions)...so there must be some
small typo or something you overlooked when following the white paper.
That's what happened to me. I had to review the steps in the white paper 3
times before I got it to work the first time.
I hope adding security extensions is easier in the future
[mswish@.microsoft.com]
--
Adrian M.
MCP
"mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5B3DDA88-4DB6-475A-97C2-84B5193C8BF5@.microsoft.com...
> Hi Adrian,
> I recognize you from previous posts. Thanks for responding.
> Yes, RSWebApplication.config is
> <ReportServerUrl>http://MARKZ_2K/ReportServer</ReportServerUrl>
>> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
> Are you refering to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting
> Services\ReportManagerWeb.Config?
> I believe the only thing to do in that file is to set
> <identity impersonate="false"/> which I have done/
> "Adrian M." wrote:
>> hmm...In RSWebApplication.config, you have the machine name in the
>> <ReportServerUrl> element? [ http://MachineName/ReportServer ]
>> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
>> --
>> Adrian M.
>> MCP
>>
>> "mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:59AD917B-B95B-4442-9C5F-38C7CF178B09@.microsoft.com...
>> >I have checked and rechecked I have read the posts many times, but I
>> >still
>> > can't get it to work quite right.
>> >
>> > After configuring the security extension I can successfully register a
>> > user
>> > (admin).
>> > I can deploy a report via the .NET IDE. I am prompted for the user
>> > name.
>> > The report is deployed and can be run inside the IDE.
>> >
>> > When I try to log on to ReportManager via http://Machinename/Reports
>> > I correctly get the UILogin.aspx page. I have debugged this process
>> > many
>> > times. It
>> > checks the user name and password. It creates a cookie. I get to the
>> > line
>> > HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect(redirectUrl, false); It really
>> > seems
>> > like it should redirect to Folder.aspx but instead it returns to
>> > UILogin.aspx
>> > .
>> >
>> > I am using the developer edition with SR1
>> > I have removed the cr/lf from all configuration lines
>> > I never user localhost I am always using Machine name.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated
>>|||Hey Adrian I figured it out.
The problem is that my machinename has an "_" (underscore) in it.
If I use the IP address instead of machinename everything works fine.
people on the group below all seem to know that cookies won't work if the
machinename has an underscore in it.
My enthusiasm for this technology is mighty low at this point.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general/browse_thread/thread/ab47f022e98d3e5/a74711bb0225b84c?q=cookie+iis+localhost+vbscript&rnum=2#a74711bb0225b84c
"Adrian M." wrote:
> ok...can you navigate to http://MARKZ_2K/ReportServer without problems?
> Also, double-check the instructions for the changes to the ReportServer
> config files.
> To simplify the log in process, just hard code a user name/password in your
> security extension; compile; deploy it to the correct \bin folders
> (ReportManager, ReportServer); restart RS/IIS. Can you log into Report
> Manger now?
> Although it's overly complicated, I know setting up the security extension
> is possible (I've done it on several occasions)...so there must be some
> small typo or something you overlooked when following the white paper.
> That's what happened to me. I had to review the steps in the white paper 3
> times before I got it to work the first time.
> I hope adding security extensions is easier in the future
> [mswish@.microsoft.com]
> --
> Adrian M.
> MCP
>
> "mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5B3DDA88-4DB6-475A-97C2-84B5193C8BF5@.microsoft.com...
> > Hi Adrian,
> > I recognize you from previous posts. Thanks for responding.
> > Yes, RSWebApplication.config is
> > <ReportServerUrl>http://MARKZ_2K/ReportServer</ReportServerUrl>
> >
> >> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
> > Are you refering to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting
> > Services\ReportManagerWeb.Config?
> > I believe the only thing to do in that file is to set
> > <identity impersonate="false"/> which I have done/
> >
> > "Adrian M." wrote:
> >
> >> hmm...In RSWebApplication.config, you have the machine name in the
> >> <ReportServerUrl> element? [ http://MachineName/ReportServer ]
> >> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Adrian M.
> >> MCP
> >>
> >>
> >> "mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:59AD917B-B95B-4442-9C5F-38C7CF178B09@.microsoft.com...
> >> >I have checked and rechecked I have read the posts many times, but I
> >> >still
> >> > can't get it to work quite right.
> >> >
> >> > After configuring the security extension I can successfully register a
> >> > user
> >> > (admin).
> >> > I can deploy a report via the .NET IDE. I am prompted for the user
> >> > name.
> >> > The report is deployed and can be run inside the IDE.
> >> >
> >> > When I try to log on to ReportManager via http://Machinename/Reports
> >> > I correctly get the UILogin.aspx page. I have debugged this process
> >> > many
> >> > times. It
> >> > checks the user name and password. It creates a cookie. I get to the
> >> > line
> >> > HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect(redirectUrl, false); It really
> >> > seems
> >> > like it should redirect to Folder.aspx but instead it returns to
> >> > UILogin.aspx
> >> > .
> >> >
> >> > I am using the developer edition with SR1
> >> > I have removed the cr/lf from all configuration lines
> >> > I never user localhost I am always using Machine name.
> >> >
> >> > Any help would be appreciated
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>|||Glad you figured it out. I didn't know about the underscore issue so I did
a little research. Sure enough RS Books OnLine state:
Avoid using a computer that has an underscore in the computer name. Report
server does not persist session state information on computers that have an
underscore character in the computer name and that have been patched with
Internet Explorer Security Patch MS01-055. The security patch prevents
cookies from being set on client computers that have an underscore in their
names, breaking the session management features of Reporting Services.
Recommended solutions are documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base article
316112.
...wow...all the pain a litte _ causes :()
--
Adrian M.
MCP
"mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DD7842DC-F477-44C3-A52A-95D955C9D8E0@.microsoft.com...
> Hey Adrian I figured it out.
> The problem is that my machinename has an "_" (underscore) in it.
> If I use the IP address instead of machinename everything works fine.
> people on the group below all seem to know that cookies won't work if the
> machinename has an underscore in it.
> My enthusiasm for this technology is mighty low at this point.
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general/browse_thread/thread/ab47f022e98d3e5/a74711bb0225b84c?q=cookie+iis+localhost+vbscript&rnum=2#a74711bb0225b84c
>
> "Adrian M." wrote:
>> ok...can you navigate to http://MARKZ_2K/ReportServer without problems?
>> Also, double-check the instructions for the changes to the ReportServer
>> config files.
>> To simplify the log in process, just hard code a user name/password in
>> your
>> security extension; compile; deploy it to the correct \bin folders
>> (ReportManager, ReportServer); restart RS/IIS. Can you log into Report
>> Manger now?
>> Although it's overly complicated, I know setting up the security
>> extension
>> is possible (I've done it on several occasions)...so there must be some
>> small typo or something you overlooked when following the white paper.
>> That's what happened to me. I had to review the steps in the white paper
>> 3
>> times before I got it to work the first time.
>> I hope adding security extensions is easier in the future
>> [mswish@.microsoft.com]
>> --
>> Adrian M.
>> MCP
>>
>> "mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5B3DDA88-4DB6-475A-97C2-84B5193C8BF5@.microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Adrian,
>> > I recognize you from previous posts. Thanks for responding.
>> > Yes, RSWebApplication.config is
>> > <ReportServerUrl>http://MARKZ_2K/ReportServer</ReportServerUrl>
>> >
>> >> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
>> > Are you refering to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
>> > Server\MSSQL\Reporting
>> > Services\ReportManagerWeb.Config?
>> > I believe the only thing to do in that file is to set
>> > <identity impersonate="false"/> which I have done/
>> >
>> > "Adrian M." wrote:
>> >
>> >> hmm...In RSWebApplication.config, you have the machine name in the
>> >> <ReportServerUrl> element? [ http://MachineName/ReportServer ]
>> >> Also, double-check the web config files for ReportManager.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Adrian M.
>> >> MCP
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "mz" <mz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:59AD917B-B95B-4442-9C5F-38C7CF178B09@.microsoft.com...
>> >> >I have checked and rechecked I have read the posts many times, but I
>> >> >still
>> >> > can't get it to work quite right.
>> >> >
>> >> > After configuring the security extension I can successfully register
>> >> > a
>> >> > user
>> >> > (admin).
>> >> > I can deploy a report via the .NET IDE. I am prompted for the user
>> >> > name.
>> >> > The report is deployed and can be run inside the IDE.
>> >> >
>> >> > When I try to log on to ReportManager via http://Machinename/Reports
>> >> > I correctly get the UILogin.aspx page. I have debugged this process
>> >> > many
>> >> > times. It
>> >> > checks the user name and password. It creates a cookie. I get to
>> >> > the
>> >> > line
>> >> > HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect(redirectUrl, false); It really
>> >> > seems
>> >> > like it should redirect to Folder.aspx but instead it returns to
>> >> > UILogin.aspx
>> >> > .
>> >> >
>> >> > I am using the developer edition with SR1
>> >> > I have removed the cr/lf from all configuration lines
>> >> > I never user localhost I am always using Machine name.
>> >> >
>> >> > Any help would be appreciated
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment