Monday, March 26, 2012

Forms Authentication and integrating with an existing Web App

Hello,
I was hoping someone could help me with this.
I have set up a Reporting Services installation to use forms authentication as described on the MSDN page http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql2k/html/ufairs.asp. By itself it is working fine.
Now I would like to integrate access to reports from this instance of Reporting Services from into an existing ASP.NET Web Application that also uses forms authentication.
The problem I have is that I can't seem to get both Reporting Services and the Web Application to use a common forms authentication cookie. Even if I give the <forms> element the same name in both the web.config for the report server and the web.config for the custom web app - one application still don't seem to see the authentication cookie generated by the other.
The ultimate goal is to have a web application, with a single forms authentication login page, that enables users to access reporting services reports.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
DannyI just came across the article 'Forms Authentication Across Applications' that discusses the requirement of matching attributes in the forms element and machineKey element.
I assume this matches my scenario so I will try it out and see how it goes.
Please, do reply to this post however if you have anything to contribute.
"Danny" wrote:
> Hello,
> I was hoping someone could help me with this.
> I have set up a Reporting Services installation to use forms authentication as described on the MSDN page http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql2k/html/ufairs.asp. By itself it is working fine.
> Now I would like to integrate access to reports from this instance of Reporting Services from into an existing ASP.NET Web Application that also uses forms authentication.
> The problem I have is that I can't seem to get both Reporting Services and the Web Application to use a common forms authentication cookie. Even if I give the <forms> element the same name in both the web.config for the report server and the web.config for the custom web app - one application still don't seem to see the authentication cookie generated by the other.
> The ultimate goal is to have a web application, with a single forms authentication login page, that enables users to access reporting services reports.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Sincerely,
> Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment